Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Pinterest Craft: Chandelier Bird Feeder

Ahhhh, the first completed Pinterest Craft! The one that got my addiction started! So, the story goes a little something like this: Tab and I were strolling in Downtown Natchez (MS) in and out of the consignment and antique shops when I came across this chandelier in the basement. I drug it up to the counter and the clerk could just see the excitement as I asked how much it cost. Tab and the clerk both rolled their eyes when I told them I would be turning this old, rusted light fixture into an awesomely awesome bird feeder. And just to prove them both wrong, I set about completing it the very next day. Time to complete, about 2 hours.



Hang the chandelier (which is HEAVY) on a shepherd's hook. Be sure to cover the hook with a trash bag to avoid the overspray from the paint. In case you are lost, a shepherd's hook is a plant hanger that has a crook on it. Found in garden centers.


While the paint is drying, take an electric screwdriver and a small drill bit. I found these plastic dessert bowls at Fred's Discount Store for a dollar. These will serve as the seed dishes.

I drilled holes in the bottom of the dishes so that rainwater could drain out of the dishes. After the project was completed, I came back and added holes in the sides as well.

I superglued the bowls to the light fixture to make it look like they were sconces. I was careful not to apply the glue in the areas that I had drilled holes.  You can use this just as you see it here as an outdoor light fixture with tea lights  or ....

Fill with birdseed to use as a birdfeeder!  The birds LOVE this!

No comments:

Post a Comment